Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Donating Blood


Last night I donated blood. I donate every 2 months. I have 0- which they love since it can be given to all blood types and I am also CMV- which they told me is very rare and is the only blood that can be donated to baby's. I like donating blood it gives me a sense of helping others in need. I recommenced if you have never donated go try it, it only takes about 45 minutes and at the end you get some cookies. Contact your local United Blood Service or Red Cross.

Danielle also donates on a regular schedule and last night she donated Platelets, it was the first time she had. She has an extremely hi platelet and is a perfect candidate, it's a long process it took about 2 hours but they gave here a movie to watch. Not sure about all the technical stuff but what they do is spin your blood as it comes out and they give back the red blood cells and keep the platelets. Your body will replenish your platelets in 24 hrs.

Most patients undergoing a bone marrow transplant, surgery, chemotherapy, radiation treatment or organ transplant need platelets in order to survive. In fact, doctors are finding that platelets play a vital role in more and more new therapies.

With just a five-day storage life, platelet donations are delivered quickly to the patients who need them. Platelet donors have the satisfaction of knowing that their donation will be saving a life within just a few days.

My brother John is in town doing some work for Porters, so I talked him into going and donating blood with us. He had donated in High school but not since. He did donated and must have been excited because he filled the bag really fast. Thanks John for donating keep it up.

No comments: