Monday, January 12, 2009

I Miss You Mom


Today, January 12th, my mom would have celebrated her 50th birthday. She died in ’96 after a long battle with breast cancer. She was only 37 years old. Although I was only 15 when she passed, I am grateful for the time we had together and cherish all our memories. I can’t believe it’s almost been 13 years. Time goes so fast. Many times, I feel like she isn’t gone, but instead I just haven’t seen her in a long time or like I moved far away. It’s hard to explain, but I know she will always live on in my heart.

The disease that took her away is the most common cancer diagnosed in women. Although a lot of research has been done, there is still a lot to be discovered. Doctors recommend that women begin getting mammograms at the age of 40; however in my mom’s case and many other women, that is too late. Mammograms are not sophisticated enough to x-ray through the dense tissue of younger women making it difficult to see or diagnosis abnormalities. Monthly self-breast exams are highly recommended for any and all women, but it seems to me that more focus is needed in early detection in younger women because cancer isn’t age specific. I can’t say what should be done or I would be a doctor, but I know the more we are informed about things like this, the better chance we have.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jason, I'm sure your mom is so proud of the man that you have become. I can see so much of her in you. You truly are a tribute to her life.

Ginger