Thursday, April 15, 2010

Halong Bay Liveaboard!!




The last few days of my trip were spent floating on a boat in Halong Bay. The 4 of us chartered a boat from Cat Ba Island through Lan Ha Bay and Halong bay. It was a 2 day 1 Night trip. I hadn’t seen the sun since I got to Vietnam, and the forecast called for rain. I was bummed but still decided to do the live aboard, Since this was my only chance. When I awoke the morning we were leaving, it was sprinkling. I was expecting this to continue all day. To my surprise after about two hours on the boat the skies broke and the sun graced us. I was so excited. It instantly warmed up.

Our first stop was to kayak through a cave. We didn’t no exactly how big it was or if we had to turn around. The caption and cook had broken English and couldn’t help us much. After a few hundred feet, we saw light in the distance. When we came out of the cave there was a perfectly protected bay. We quickly saw another cave were we saw light on the other side. Again we were amazed by the perfect cove on the other side. This one was much bigger. The water was as flat as a lake. You could see little fish, jelly fish and urchins below. We Kayaked the whole bay from end to end. When we were done we had a great lunch. Anytime I’ve been on a boat the food has always been amazing. After lunch we did a little more Kayaking and went swimming on a secluded beach. We ended the night with an amazing dinner. They gave us the option to sleep in the cabin or on the roof. Since the skies were clear, we wanted to sleep under the stars. It was a little cold but we bundled up and sleep up top. We made it most of the night. But at 4:30 a storm rolled in and it got really windy. We decided to move into the cabin before it rained on us.

Day 2 was a little mellower. The weather was rainy so we just did sight seeing. We did stop at two caves that were really cool. One of them was huge and it took us 20 minutes to walk through it.

Lan Ha and Halong were defiantly highlights of my trip. I would recommend it to all. Lan Ha bay was my favorite. It was cleaner and not as busy as Halong.

One more night then I’m heading back home. I’m glad I meet Candice, Amy and Kevin. I‘m glad I was able to spend the last 2 weeks of my trip with them. We did a lot of fun things together. And it helped us all keep our budgets down.

I’m looking forward to being home with Danielle. I Miss and Love her very much.

See you all soon!

No comments: