Friday, April 9, 2010

Vang Vieng!!


I spent the last few days in Vang Vieng, Laos.

I've been hanging out with three Canadians I meet Candice, Kevin and Amy. It's been nice splitting cost on hotels and transportation. We've been together the last 5 days, most likely I'll hang out with them for my last week it Asia.

Vang Vieng is known for a few things, first would be tubing the river. The second is rock climbing. I was able to do both in my time there.

The tubing is more like a wild spring break party. People from all over the world getting wasted. Jumping off zip lines and rope swings into the river. There is a bar about every 100ft. By the end of the day we had only went 200 yards down river. The tube rental was such a waste of money, you could walk or swam, the water was so low. I had fun though. I went on a few of the zip lines and swings. But I hit my foot on a rock off one of the swings due to the shallow water. After that I just hung out, I got a small cut on the bottom of the foot. No big deal but it's hard to keep it clean.

The next morning we went out with a guide for a half day of rock climbing. We went with a great company named Green Discovery. Our guide was Hoi, he was very knowledgeable and spoke great English. This is hot season in Laos. So we started early and went to a nice canyon, which was sheltered from the sun. There was limestone cliffs on both sides. One side was about
40ft and the other was about 60ft. There were a lot of fun routes. We did about six different climbs. None of them were to hard but all fun. I had never climbed limestone. I was amazed by how strong of a rock it is. There were tons of good holds that didn't look strong enough to support my weight, but they did. I would highly recommend climbing in Vang Vieng.

Today I took a 9 hour bus to Luang Prabang. I'll spend the next few days here. Then I'm flying to Hanoi. I'll spend 5 more days in Vietnam then back home. I'm having an amazing time on my trip but looking forward to being home with Daniele.

One week left.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mud wrestling, eh?

BROTHER said...

HELLO