Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Celebreiting Holi







Today was a Indian holiday called Holi festival, the celebrate by running crazy through the streets and partying hard, they put colored powders all over each other. It's a lot of fun. I only brought two sets of clothing so I purchased a set of traditional India wear. All the stores were closed today so I had a rickshaw driver take me to his friends house / shop to get me fitted. It cost 250 Rupees $5 dollars which was a little expensive but that was the only option. I head back to the room and got changed.

I was planing on just wandering the streets, but as I was leaving the hotel a family was jumping in a car and I could tell by there dress that they were going out to celebrate and get colored. I asked these complete strangers if I could go with them and they said jump in. It ended up being a Italian family that is living in Delhi for work, Georgeo is a archaeologist looking for oil in India, his with was Paolo and son Lorenzo. We head to the center of the pink city were the partying was in full force, in a matter of minutes we were fully colored it was a ton of fun the locals would come up and cover you in powder waiting for you to do the same in return. The people were having so much fun. After about an hour we head back to the hotel to pick up to of there friends which ended up being from the bay area. We had a quick snack the back to the fun. We went to one of the Italian's friends store which had a balcony overlooking the street were we watched the crowds get crazy as they got drunk. The cops were taking no shit we saw one guy gat a baton broken over his head for trying to color a cop, not a smart thing. After an hour of hanging out we went back to the streets. The locals were having so much fun they keep trying to get me to drink there moonshine. After another hour of running through the streets the Italian's had to head back to Delhi for work and school in the morning. I am so glad I jumped in there car it was a great experience. Rob and Dennise from Marin and I went back to the hotel to have a snack and relax. It was such a fun day.

I'm catching a train to Ranthambhore National park tomorrow to go on a tiger safari. Check back for all the cool pics. Hopefully I will see some tigers theirs no guarantee.

5 comments:

Brad said...

That looks like so much fun man! In the picture with the kid on the motorcycle. Is that Bill Murray on the right? :)

Gaines said...

Hi Jason, Glad you are packing so much fun into the trip, we are all wondering what you'll be up to next. The Warehouse crew is going to get drunk and throw colored powder at Eleanor and John in order to re-create the crowds you saw yesterday!! Don't forget to bring home a little friend for my white Tibetan yak.

Anonymous said...

lol it looks like someone threw up kool-aid packets all over you. and i like your jesus sandals. i want a pair lol miss you like crazy and hope your having the time of your life.
XOXOXOXOXOXOXXOXXXXOOOOO

Jason said...

Those are Reef Flip Flops. Not Jesus sandals. HAHA

Anonymous said...

yeah i knoow lol

i looked at the picture again and realized it oh well hahaha

dad says hello. lol

okay i'm going back to my lunch now. i loveeee youuuu
XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXXXXXOOOOO

p.s. when are you coming home??